Shane English Ningbo Staff Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Smile and say hello...

4 posters

Go down

Smile and say hello... Empty Smile and say hello...

Post  Keola Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:31 am

Some advice for new teachers and TAs is pretty simple. Smile and say hello. These very simple things can can help in a few ways. It can make you feel a bit better (choosing your attitude) and it's always nice to have people smile back at you. It can give parents a bit of confidence in you as a teacher. Nonverbal communication is pretty important. Every time I am in the hallway or even near school and I see parents and kids, I smile and try to talk to them. I'll ask parents the same questions I ask their kids. It's silly, but the parents enjoy it too. Smile, say hello, ask some questions...Easy things to do.
Keola
Keola

Back to top Go down

Smile and say hello... Empty We become what we do - actions carry into feelings.

Post  Admin Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:35 pm

Picking up on what Keola mentioned about just the act of smiling makes us feel better - even when we are tired, nervous, or what have you.

I love this quote by Charlie Brown - it matters to us as teachers because, yes, standing straight and looking forward with a friendly smile - whether genuine or not at the time - WILL breed feelings of confidence when facing parents.

"This is my depressed stance. When you're depressed, it makes a lot of difference how you stand. The worst thing you can do is straighten up and hold your head high because then you'll start to feel better. If you're going to get any joy out of being depressed, you've got to stand like this." - Charlie Brown

Admin
Admin

http://sescningbo.formyjob.net

Back to top Go down

Smile and say hello... Empty Smile at everyone- that kid might be yours next week...

Post  sick j. Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:01 pm

Not only is smiling at everyone and interacting with the parents good advice, but it is fun! I have a really fun time interacting with other teachers' students in the hallway. Especially in the winter when I can sneak up and put their hoods on.

1. It makes the students feel good about talking to a different foreigner than they are used to dealing with.
2. It gives them confidence.
3. These kids crave attention! They usually love it! And the more fun they have at school, the better our retention is going to be...
4. The parents see their kids interacting with a different foreigner... for free? Wow, they didn't realize that might happen. Now they like the school even more.
5. A little interaction with one student is all it might take for him or her to be less nervous than they would normally be when they transfer into your class next week.

A little smile goes a long way. Even if you're not feeling awesome, if you try to think positively, you will start to notice a change in your surroundings. You will see it reflected in positive things happening around you. Project happiness and magically, you will become happy. Just like Charlie Brown says. Do that in the hallway, and the parents will see it. And they will love it.
sick j.
sick j.

Back to top Go down

Smile and say hello... Empty Re: Smile and say hello...

Post  Kirkcampbell Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:35 pm

I sometimes struggle if I see a kid and their parent and am unsure of their speaking ability of getting into awkward conversation. One thing I go for after the "Hello Joe! How are you?" is pick up on an item of clothing they are wearing. Pointing at it, saying "cool pink shoes!" or whatever and giving a thumbs up seems to make them both happy.

If in doubt, I go for props as a focus for a comment or two (food, sticker on forehead, funky clothes etc.)
Kirkcampbell
Kirkcampbell

Back to top Go down

Smile and say hello... Empty Re: Smile and say hello...

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum