Shane English Ningbo Staff Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Motivation and Classroom Behavior

2 posters

Go down

Motivation and Classroom Behavior Empty Motivation and Classroom Behavior

Post  saliva Thu May 17, 2012 2:52 pm

I've started using "responsi-bills" to motivate students in a variety of areas.

I made copies of 100 rmb bills, copied them and printed them off. To encourage discipline in the classroom (i.e. no Chinese, staying seated, no kungfu, no shouting, etc...) I give them 100 rmb. If they break these rules, I take away 100rmb. So they have the opportunity to both earn and lose money in class.

To encourage and motivate them in other areas, I give them 100rmb if they are drilling/speaking well in class, reading when prompted to, participating in class, sometimes for various controlled practice exercises if they answer a question correctly. I'll also do random extra $ to students who improved in areas (i.e. spelling, writing, reading, improved behavior etc..)

The incentive is that the 2 students with the most money at the end of the term (I pass the $ out in class, collect it at the end of class and add up their $, and they return it to me) I will take them to the 2nd floor and buy them a special treat.

I've used this method in several classes and it has not only improved classroom behavior,but also motivated some of the lazier students as well as encouraged some of the slower students struggling in certain areas. It's been working really well.

saliva

Back to top Go down

Motivation and Classroom Behavior Empty Re: Motivation and Classroom Behavior

Post  Keola Wed May 23, 2012 2:35 pm

I've heard a ton of positive feedback in the office about "responsi-bills." Thinking I am going to try it in a few classes in the upcoming week. Thank you Stacie!
Keola
Keola

Back to top Go down