Shane English Ningbo Staff Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spelling review/games

5 posters

Go down

Spelling review/games Empty Spelling review/games

Post  Keola Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:13 am

For our brand new students spelling is a really difficult thing for them to handle. What kinds of review or games do you do for your CL01 classes that have been working? What kind of homework for spelling are you giving?

Thanks!
Keola
Keola

Back to top Go down

Spelling review/games Empty Re: Spelling review/games

Post  Joe_Taylor Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:23 am

I do lots of writing races. In CK04 I give all the students a pen and they have to write the phonic blend that I say on the writing practice boards. Whoever writes it correctly and the fastest gets a star! I write all the phonic blends that they know so far on the whiteboard for reference. Students sometimes also need to be shown in advance where the letters go (p and g hang below the line, l and t are tall etc)

In CL01 I have 2 teams, and one student from each has to write a given word on the board. It's a race, but I emphasise the words being written correctly, and if one is too messy/misspelled, the other student wins. I sometimes use the monkey tree ppt (in the dropbox) to keep score between the teams. (Click on the winning side's tree, and the monkey on that side climbs up a notch).

Joe_Taylor

Back to top Go down

Spelling review/games Empty Spelling/Writing Exercise

Post  saliva Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:45 am

I sometimes do a race/writing exercise. I have the writing template posted on the board with a line down the middle to create two sides. On each side, I have the current unit words written above the template lines (the same words on each side - random places).

I give 2 students a marker and call out a word. On "Go" they have to race to the board, find the word, and copy it beneath the typed word. If I use this as a team game, they win points for their team.

saliva

Back to top Go down

Post  peterpeter Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:32 am

Like everyone else, a lot of the spelling activities I do are races. One of my favorites with young students is to split the class into two teams and have each student write one letter. For example, if the word was "three," student A would run to the board, write "t," then run to student B and hand her the marker. Student B would then run to the board herself, write "h," and so forth. Obviously, the first team to correctly complete the word wins. I like this form of race because it doesn't place as much pressure on individual students and it gets them up out of their seats and moving around, which is always nice. farao

I also like to do a lot of chants when teaching young students spelling - it's really simple and gets them saying all the letters (g-r-e-e-n, green green green!). Hangman is also a fun spelling game that I use in class quite a bit. rendeer

peterpeter

Back to top Go down

Spelling review/games Empty wrote it

Post  chocolatlova Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:07 pm

Hello,

I wrote a lot of games in the Miscellaneous category.

The post is called :Quick Spelling games for all levels

Hope its helps a bit.

The only thing I would add is that younger levels have a hard time simply copying the right letters in the right order. I don't know how many CK and low CL students have had spelling mistakes in their exams even when the word is already written (they just have to put it at the right place Mad ...and I warn them before the test not to make mistakes when they copy the words!!!).

I would suggest doing a lot of copying words games.

peace
chocolatlova
chocolatlova

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down