Shane English Ningbo Staff Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Final Games

+4
Kirkcampbell
Rakhi
Admin
Keola
8 posters

Go down

Final Games Empty Final Games

Post  Keola Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:06 am

What is your "go to" or successful final game? I recently used a PPT Joe made with two planets and UFOs attacking them. It was awesome and super easy to set up. (It's in the Haishu folder in Dropbox.)
Keola
Keola

Back to top Go down

Final Games Empty Re: Final Games

Post  Admin Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:14 am

I have been using a modified Typhoon - basically it plays on the students expectations as they 'think' they know the game. So instead of awarding 60 points, it might say, 'boys sing a song and get 30 points.'
For me I've been focused less on the 'costume' of the game and more on how to have as much students talking as possible. So for Typhoon one team must speak chorally and then one student can pick a number.
Look forward to checking out Joe's UFO game.
Thanks for posting K!

Admin
Admin

http://sescningbo.formyjob.net

Back to top Go down

Final Games Empty Hangman

Post  Rakhi Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:02 am

I sometimes use hangman for CL02 and up, and with vocab words from a few weeks ago. The students are in two teams, and they have to guess a letter each. I don't accept word guesses, though if they are right but struggling to spell it, I help them along.

This is great if you want to end class with a competitive but low energy game.

Rakhi

Back to top Go down

Post  Kirkcampbell Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:56 am

I do exactly the same Rakhi and yesh it works great.

For my CL04's it's completely student driven as they are in charge of doing the words and hangman (for slower kids they often chose a word they can see in the room, smarter kids like the challenge of trying to do a word off the top of their head). If I'm doing point scoring, it'll be 1 point for each letter guessed (if there's 2 Es they get 2 points) otherwise they seem to enjoy it without.
Kirkcampbell
Kirkcampbell

Back to top Go down

Final Games Empty ABC Game/ Point System

Post  Michael Rosie Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:25 pm

I do something that I actually stole from Foland. It makes the final game part of the overall point system for the class. Instead of throwing balls at pictures or whatever, I'll give a flashcard to the team with more points. They can choose it out of an old flashcard set and I'll put it on their side of the board. Then erase all the points for both teams and start over.

By the end of class each team may have 2-3 flashcards on their side of the board. So for the final game I'll ask "Are you ready?" During this time the kids will look at what letters are in their words the most. I turn over the cards so they can't see them, and then let each team tell me 2 letters they want. Then I'll turn the cards back over so everyone can see them and see how many they have of the letters chosen by both teams. The most points wins.

It takes 2-3 weeks for the kids to get used to it. But they get really into it after they've figured out the strategy (picking cards with repeat letters, picking cards that share letters with the cards you already have, not choosing letters in the other teams cards for the scoring at the end of class, etc.). It's a great point system for classes that need practice with their ABCs. And it's a great way to review old vocab without a lot of pressure for the kids that can't remember the words.

Michael Rosie

Back to top Go down

Final Games Empty Mind Games

Post  chocolatlova Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:04 pm

Hello,

This is a fun way to review colors with your CL or CK classes once they know how to read to colors as well:

optillusions dot com/dp/1-41.htm

Make the students quickly read the words or say the color not the word.

The student who says it all right gets a prize.

enjoy

Nancy
chocolatlova
chocolatlova

Back to top Go down

Post  Kirkcampbell Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:25 pm

Going back to Rosie's game, that is such a good idea! A game where they are rewarded for using their intelligence and paying attention to taught language is such a good idea! I think maybe i'll do this for my CL05 when it starts up.
Sweeet.
Kirkcampbell
Kirkcampbell

Back to top Go down

Final Games Empty Final Game, CL04

Post  Coco Cruzan Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:15 am

At the end of CL04, part of the W.B. and test is they have to create the question from a statement.

I either use Typhoon where they pull a phrase out of an envelope, 1 student says the phrase, the other has to create the question.
OR
I like using the dice to create random student-to-student interaction.
You assign numbers to students for the first roll to Q & A with each other, the second role is the amount of points they get.
Coco Cruzan
Coco Cruzan

Back to top Go down

Final Games Empty Basketball Q&A

Post  sick j. Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:34 pm

A quickie, or one for a class that is a little slower, is the simple st-ft Q&A.
It's so easy it hurts! Sts make a line and one by one, as me a question and then get a chance to make a basket with the ball for wild applause or heckling boos! No easy questions like "What's your name?" either! They have to use recent language. Then-- sayonara!

sick j.
sick j.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down